Monday, May 4, 2026

Heart Stopping

I had my wife read three of the novel entries. Ostensibly I did this because I wanted to know if she had the same reaction to them that I did. She read them all, and they were three poor ones, poor is being kind. At the end of all three I asked her what she thought of them. She was nice about it, but you could kinda tell she wasn't too impressed. After she critiqued the third one, and she panned the third one the most, I asked her, "Which one was mine?"

Her mouth dropped open, her face fell, and she began to stammer and squeak silently. I immediately let her off the hook and told her none of them were mine.

However, I've already learned some vital aspects of reading novel segments. Those first ten pages are key. They have to be gripping and compelling and well written to a point that is absolutely beyond par. I'm a little worried about comparing my first ten pages to some of these.

No comments: