I am reading Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass, and I believe I am going to be commenting about it quite a lot in the coming days. It is without question, and keep in mind I’m only a few chapters into it, the best book on novel writing I’ve read yet. It’s not that he is bringing up new ideas or devices on writing, but he has an incredibly easy writing style. It’s as if I am a student in a completely engrossing lecture class. I can’t put it down.
That being said, one activity he gives his readers is to pick their three favorite novels. There is a lot that goes into why he asks this, but I got stuck on this command. I can’t think of my three favorite novels, the ones I’ve read and re-read the most. I have favorite authors. That’s easy to pinpoint; Dick Francis, Vernor Vinge, Agatha Christie. But, I don’t have three favorite novels.
I have one. Lonesome Dove. I’ve read that sucker a million times. My copy is so dog eared and beat up I had to put duct tape on it to hold it together. Another favorite might be Illusions by Richard Bach. I’ve read that a few times and each time I get more out of it. Another? Deepness in the Sky was awesome. I’ve re-read George RR Martin’s series a few times. Fellowship of the Ring? What about the Flashman novels I enjoy so much. I can’t pinpoint that final book.
Nevertheless the lesson that Mr. Maass was trying to teach was not lost on me. Examine those books above. First, except for one, they all have expansive settings and character lists. Secondly, most were written more than ten years ago. These are two features of breakout novels Mr. Maass says.
Try it. What are you’re three favorite novels? The three books you’ve read and re-read a million or more times? The one that if you had only three books to read would be the ones you select? It sounds easier than it is. Do they fit into Mr. Maass’ mold?
What I found interesting, and Mr. Maass has not written about this yet, none of my three favorites are mystery novels.
No comments:
Post a Comment