Monday, May 4, 2026

Workshop

Went to a writers workshop today. According to the panel of published authors I am going about my querying a bit too aggressively.

One statistic that stood out was something that the host, David Liss said. His opinion is that you should have a 10 - 20% success rate on your query letter; if not something is wrong with your query. My success rate is just under 10%.

Couple of thoughts on this. I think that they were unaware of how pervasive emailing queries has become. When I emailed queries it was common to have the synopsis and a partial manuscript in the email. He was the youngest author and had queried agents 10 years prior. I think his success rate was a bit dated.

Sadly, the other's seemed to think they had heard of email queries but weren't sure if it was a popular method. My research shows a 60-40 tilt toward email queries.

More on the workshop in later posts.

No comments: