My indispensable brother has sent a link today: (Link)
It’s another look at the e-revolution in publishing thanks to the Kindle and iPad. This one is nice though in that it discusses form and format much more than most other articles on the subject. It includes some wonderful pictures and links to books on form. Worth reading, and worth thinking about if you are a publisher. From a writer’s perspective he brings up some points worth considering. Among them:
“IT’S NO WONDER WE LOVE OUR PRINTED BOOKS — we physically cradle them close to our heart. Unlike computer screens, the experience of reading on a Kindle or iPhone (or iPad, one can assume) mimics this familiar maternal embrace. The text is closer to us, the orientation more comfortable. And the seemingly insignificant fact that we touch the text actually plays a very key role in furthering the intimacy of the experience.”
I thought that was a nicely worded passage. Hadn’t thought of it that way, quite descriptive. In terms of writers being able to take advantage of the new formats he says this:
“We're going to see new forms of storytelling emerge from this canvas. This is an opportunity to redefine modes of conversation between reader and content. And that's one hell of an opportunity if making content is your thing.”
As I said before it is interesting times we are living through, like being around for Gutenburg churning out tomes on his printing press.
2 comments:
Can a Kindle smell as lovely as an old book?
Caroline,
Having allowed books and reading to be such a large part of my life, I can understand and empathize completely with your comment. Actually I've been surprised by how much I enjoy reading on my Kindle, but it has highlight some of the things I have always enjoyed but taken for granted about print books.
Loaning a book to a friend, borrowing a book from the library, cracking open a new book that you've been looking forward to reading, but most of all, seeing books on book shelves and remembering for a moment what it was like to read it, wondering if it's time to re-read it.
Nevertheless, I'm glad we live in a time when we can balance both the convenience of ebooks with the personal connection that print books can provide.
Thanks for reading my blog, I hope you will continue to do so. I'd love to hear more about your projects.
Post a Comment