Just finished reading Donald Maass’ Writing the Breakout Novel and plan to review it shortly. There is one thing I’ve noticed, and this gets me pretty inspired interms of the next few months, and this is, I don’t write well when I’m reading books on the writing craft.
These last few days my writing has been agonizingly slow and labor intensive. I have to struggle to get anything down. I don’t find the same problems when I am reading for fun. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed Writing the Breakout Novel, as my review will state, but, I sure second guess myself a lot when I’m reading about craft.
My stories tend to bog down, get labor intensive, and never go anywhere. I find myself constantly fine tuning instead of writing. I recognize it, but still can not get beyond it.
Now, why am I looking forward to the next couple of weeks or months. I’ve dedicated myself to reading craft books at a 1:2 ratio to novels. Since making this pledge I’ve read just one novel and two craft books. This means I can read between three and six novels before I have to read another craft book. WOO HOO. I even have the next one picked out. An early Vernon Vinge. Secondly, and apropos of just about nothing, I’m looking forward to reading on the Kindle again.
No comments:
Post a Comment