Well, I'm re-editing my novel, Toe the Line. After the agent from Atlanta sent back and edited version of my first three chapters, and the other agent from ICM passed on it, I've decided to go ahead and completely re-edit the entire work, reading it this time as I would a mass market mystery. I'm on chapter 4 right now and I have some thoughts.
First, the edit with Roger took out too much. The text moves to quickly. I find that I need to slow down and explain a bit more to the reader. So I'm trying to take my time a bit more.
Secondly, too much dialogue. I'm an advocate of show don't tell, but I think I've taken it too far. I show way too much. I'm finding that I am writing more telling in an effort to keep the readers mind in the story. I think it's better.
Lastly, and this is truly disapointing, I'm finding I am not impressed at all. If I was an agent that got this, I wouldn't buy it. So, note for future edits, PRINT THE WHOLE DAMN THING OUT AND READ IT AS A WHOLE. I've read that countless times, and I tried to do it, but in the future, it simply must be done. My edits and the corrections I am making are ten times better when I read it as if I was sitting down to read a mystery, and just make the corrections as they come.
More later.
No comments:
Post a Comment