I just finished reading a "throw-away" thriller novel. Mark, who seems to only read engaging and intellectually fulfilling books would be disappointed, but I have an idea kicking around for a mystery cum thriller, and so, I chalk this up to research.
It wasn't a terrific thriller, but I read the entire story and it had it's moments. By the end I felt enthralled. There were one or two themes and words that caught my eye, among them:
Wet Work - I've heard this term before, used commonly with political assassination, but I didn't realize it had a Russian background. Wetwork or wet work is a euphemism for murder or assassination, alluding to spilling blood. It is popularly attributed to the KGB and their broad euphemism for such activities, mokroye delo (wet job).
Avoirdupois – I’ve heard this, but I always forget the exact definition. I can usually figure it out from the context clues, but the literal translation is goods of weight, but can be used in terms of personal weight or heaviness.
Pelf – never heard it used, but it means money or riches.
Fustian – I’ve never heard of this word but boy it has potential. A strong cotton and linen fabric or a class of cotton fabrics usually having a pile face and twill weave. But can also be used to describe high-flown or affected writing or speech or anything high-flown or affected in style.
Finally, a phrase that was the basis for a theme in the book – Recall the man, of ancient times, who set up a shop in a village selling both a spear he said would penetrate anything and a shield he claimed nothing could penetrate.
On to the next throw-away book . . . I mean bit of research.
No comments:
Post a Comment