I got a nibble from an agent. I wrote to an agent a few weeks ago. I received an email from another agent (or agent assistant) at the agency yesterday. In the email this agent explains that she showed the query to another agent at the agency, and he is interested.
Having completed a bit of research on this third agent, I see that he represents mysteries, and sports non-fiction. Perhaps he is intrigued by my blending of the two. Nevertheless, the email said that they would like to see the first ten pages of my manuscript. This is a tactic used to ensure that they aren't wasting their time. They want to see if I can write at all well before they ask for the whole magilla.
This is also something that could leave me completely and utterly crushed. If they don't like the first ten pages, they're basically saying, "eh....you aren't that great a writer kid."
So, in preparation for this monumental disapointment, I went back and re-read my first ten pages. It never ceases to amaze me by how with each successive reading I find things that could be said better, and worse, I find mistakes. I've re-read and edited Toe the Line at least five times. My roommate has read it. Roger has read some of it. Others have read it. And yet, there are still mistakes.
I can understand my finding things I think I can say better, but mistakes. Finding mistakes after this many re-reads is just embarrassing. The struggle continues. Brace yourselves for the rejection of my ten pages and the devestation that will bring.
No comments:
Post a Comment