Monday, May 4, 2026

iPad Test Drive

My brother and I found ourselves at the Apple Store to check out the new iPads. I have to say in terms of the full color screen, I'm quite impressed. When I tried out the e-reader application the characters were crisp and clear and I found it remarkably easy to read. I do have one or two points where in I was no overly impressed.

First, unlike the Kindle, the iPad mimics page turns on the screen. This seems a bit silly and superfluous to me. What happened to all of that "new way of presenting material" stuff we'd been hearing so much about. This isn't a new way to present material at all, it was just the old way shown on the screen. I can understand that for many this would provide a bit of a easy introduction into the world of reading via tablet, but I think I like the utilitarianess of the Kindle.

Secondly, and this is a feature of the Kindle which has a bit of an expiration date, but one of my favorite aspects is my ability to one-hand that sucker. I can hold onto my new baby Charlie with one hand and quite easily turn pages by clicking the next page key with my other. I did not immediately see a way to do that with the iPad. It looks like a two-hand job.

Nevertheless, my impressions were quite positive. It's a great looking machine (I won't say "great looking computer" if only because I don't want to provide Dave yet another opening to say "it's not a computer). I was surprised by the screen and intrigued.

No comments: