Monday, May 4, 2026

Word Count

Pleasant surprise yesterday, no rejections. No acceptances either, but at this point I'll take even the smallest victories.

Better surprise today, one acceptance. I'm still looking forward to that spectacular day when someone formerly accepts me and takes me on as a writer.

This acceptance was odd. The agent, in Atlanta (point against), marked up my query. First she corrected fiancee. It's a common mistake for me. One would think I'd look it up one day and put the matter to rest. I guess I should feel honored that was the only fault she found.

She also marked next to my word count the word "short". This is something I've had trouble with for the past couple of years. When I first started writing seriously in 2001, my first NaNoWriMo, the thinking was 50,000 words equals a novel. Then, as I did more research, and interacted a bit more I found out that for a first time author 125,000 words or over is impossible to sell. Anything under 50,000 as well, impossible. Uncle John's book was in the 40,000 area. The last Dick Francis I read, based on my investigation, came out to 76,000 words. I find it funny that there is such a high degree of discrimination from 68,000 to say 76,000.

One blog I was reading said that most agents won't touch a new author's book if it is under 70,000. I wonder if that has been a stumbling block for some that I've contacted.

I actually recognized this as a problem several months ago and tried to add to the story. I succeeded by adding about ten thousand more words. Now, thinking about where I might add more, I see one or two places, but no place that would allow me to add 10,000 more. Then, there is the problem of bogging down the story. Plus there is the edit. So many editors chop your work up so it is even less!

It's a pickle. I'd love to know more about it.

No comments: