Once again, my indespinsable brother has sent me a link regarding the release of the iPad (Link). This article specifically concerns the tactics that Amazon is employing to try and set the stage prior to the iPad's release. It appears as though they are issuing threats to some publishers to get them to accept Amazon pricing schemas, most likely as they fear that the Apple iBookstore will immediately begin to undercut their market.
Besides this being a completely expected event with the coming release of the iPad, I find it to be a bit unfair to Kindle. First, I think it's funny that when I read an article in the WSJ last week about Apple doing pretty much the same thing that Amazon is accused of doing here, it's not called strong arming or "issuing threats" it's framed as Apple being stuck in negotiations. Secondly, I thought the title of the article/post was the most enlightening (and most unexpected) part of the article. "Hysterical Amazon exec calls 911, says accelerator is stuck and he can’t keep from running over publishers."
I wonder if these publishers will be as happy to be strong-armed by (what I feel is) a much stronger Apple when they start making the same demands as Amazon in the future. I doubt we will ever see an article that starts with "Hysterical Apple exec . . . "
No comments:
Post a Comment