I have read approximately 25 entries. Most of them have earned scores in the 110 to 120 range. The best score a story can receive is a 150. Up until last night I only had two that came close to being top of the heap. They both scored high 130's to low 140's. I read two last night that blew all the rest away.
I'm not usually a sucker for fantasy for sci-fi. I had that era as a child where I read those genres but I grew out of it. Now, if I read fantasy or sci-fi, it has to come with a glowing recommendation from someone I trust. Bill recommended Snow Crash by Stehpenson and I'm glad he did. He also recommended anything by Vernor Vinge. Again, he pegged it. Pryor endorses George R.R. Martin, and now, so do I.
Last night, one author, apparent from the manuscript formatting and the tone, absolutely astounded me. His first work was based on time travel. The pace was a bit pedantic, but otherwise the story was superb. The plot too was outstanding. His second work, about a space elevator was even better. He scored a 142 for the time travel work and a 145 for the space elevator.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him take the whole contest.
No comments:
Post a Comment