The question is. . . when I reach the end of my spreadsheet of potential agents to quesry, what do I do? The answers are many.
First, I place the novel on the shelf while I continue to work on the second novel. Hopefully, when I try to sell that second one, they will ask, "Got anything else?" Then I'll be ready. Albeit, ready with something that has been declined almost 300 times.
Second, I continue to work on the second novel and eventually query the same way I did for this one, but that second time integrate some of the lessons I've learned from this process, AND e-publish the first novel for Amazon Kindle reader.
Third, I completely give up, buy and Xbox 360 and Call of Duty and enjoy life.
You'll notice that except for the third choice (which really is the best choice) the two other choices are similar except for what happens to my novel Toe the Line. I'm leaning toward the e-publishing route.
To that end, I'm hoping to create my website in the next few weeks, complete a final edit of my manuscript, and produce some cover art prior to uploading it to Amazon.
What put this bug in my ear? Well, firstly, I'm coming to the end of the query list. Secondly, Karen McQuestion's interview on Newbies Guide to Publishing by JA Konrath. She went the traditional route. One of her queries paid off, she spent almost two years in pre-production, then was dropped and left right where she had started. She started e-publishing and now has a fan base. Now, I'm not expecting the same results, but I sure would hate to follow that same path to success. I don't want to be in the same place two years from now.
No comments:
Post a Comment