"The bell rang and I went to the front and opened the door and there she was. I said good morning."
Rex Stout - Over My Dead Body
Talk about a first line that highlights the importance of a first line. This one did nothing to inspire me to read on. Although the writing, straigtforward, direct, no-nonsense, is perfectly in line with the style of Stout's writing, it lacks all of the flambouyance he can find in the language, all of the humor, and all sort of pizzazz. A few posts ago I wrote about how the negative can be used to highlight descriptions. This first line is an apt representation of poor first line emphasizing the importance of all first lines.
1 comment:
Well, I liked the first line. It could be because I was envisioning Humphrey Bogart saying it to Lauren Bacall. Kind of get my books and movies mixed up....
Post a Comment